#summitsafely week 16 – Don’t forget your spare gloves
It's week 16 of the 20 week #summitsafely campaign. This week’s #summitsafely top tip – carry a spare set of gloves when heading into the mountains.
Avoiding cold hands is essential when out in the mountains. Having warm hands keeps you feeling positive, allows you to stay alert and concentrate on the task at hand - whether that be climbing, walking or scrambling. You are less likely to fall, stumble or injure yourself when you aren’t worrying about how cold your hands are.
Everyone knows if you are prone to getting cold hands. Some people get cold hands quicker so you need to be prepared to tackle the outdoors and the varied elements that come with adventuring outside.
Our top tip is to always carry a spare set of gloves in your rucksack but don’t forget to have the right kind of gloves to suit the conditions and you. You might lose a pair, they might get wet or you need an extra layer. So be prepared.
Here’s our top tips for keeping your hands warm:
It’s always a good idea to have an inexpensive and light weight pair of thin gloves to keep the initial chill off. It’s a great starting point and if you feel a thick pair is required you can always keep the thin layer on and pull on your thicker option. That way you’ll keep your hands warmer and if you need to remove the thick pair you keep some insulation.
Top tip: take an extra thin pair out with you in case you get the first pair wet.
Another good layer option is fleece gloves. They offer a thicker option from lining gloves, not that bulky but can come in different options – windproof/ non winderproof versions.
It’s important you find a good pair of outer gloves that work for you. Being waterproof is imperative. A bit like shopping for a waterproof jacket, various brands have different waterproofing options for example GoreTex or Nikwax options and will vary in quality and prize.
Top tip: Make sure you can fit a thin lining glove under your outer gloves.
Great options for those who are prone to chilly hands. Great and efficient way to keep your hands warm.
Top tip: Woollen mittens are a good option and still keep you warm when wet.
Full terms and conditions
- The promoter and prize is Lake District National Park Authority (LDNPA), whose offices are at Murley Moss, Oxenholme Road, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 7RL.
- There are two prizes, one pair of men’s sensor gloves size large only. All subject to availability.
- Prize will be posted to the winner.
- This competition is open to residents of the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland aged 18 years or over, except for the Lake District National Park/Brockhole, their families or anyone else associated with this competition.
- The winner must provide postal address
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.Only one entry is permitted per person. Competition entrants must be aged 18 years or over.
- Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are provided @lakesweather
- Closing date for entry will be 16.00 24th March 2017. After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice if something should happen outside of the promoter's control.
- Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- No cash alternative to the prize will be offered. The prize is not transferable.
- The prize is subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- The winner will be chosen at random from all valid competition entries.The winner will be notified by twitter within 28 days of the closing date.
- If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- Should the winner be unable to take the prize, the prize will be passed to the second drawn entrant.
- Once a date has been chosen by the winner these are non-transferable and no alternative dates can be offered.
- The prize as described is available on the date of publication.
- By entering this competition, you will also be subscribing to the Lake District National Park database. You may unsubscribe from newsletters at any time by clicking the 'Unsubscribe' option within the newsletter, however unsubscribing before the competition closing date, will disqualify your entry.
- Contact details for the winner will be passed on to the prize provider so that they can notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected / redeemed.
- The promoter's decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.The prize winner agrees (as a condition of accepting the prize) to the use of his / her name, county of residence (if such prize winner is resident within the UK) or country of residence (if such prize winner is resident outside the UK) and one or more photograph of themselves in any publicity material and to co-operate with or participate in any other reasonable post-competition publicity.
- Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant's prior consent.
- The winners' names will be available on our website www.lakeweatherline.co.uk or 28 days after closing date by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address: Lake District National Park Authority, Murley Moss, Oxenholme Road, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 7RL.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- You are providing your information to LDNPA and not to any other party.Anyone who is a) an employee of either LDNPA or b) a family members of such an employee will not be permitted to enter the competition.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.