#summitsafely week 6: Get your leg wear right on the fells
It's week 6 of the 20 week #summitsafely campaign. This week it's our pals at Páramo who are sharing the love, give you an awesome top tip and the chance to win a pair of Men’s or Women’s Cascada II Trousers.
Week 6's theme is all about getting your leg wear right on the fells. For fell-walking in Lakes – or anywhere in the UK – the right legwear is as essential as a good waterproof jacket. You’ll quickly become uncomfortable and even seriously chilled if your legs get soaked. Wet legwear can also result in very unpleasant chafing – something you won’t want to repeat once experienced! What’s more, a good waterproof jacket sheds water really effectively – straight onto your trousers!
However, if you walk in all weathers, you’ll be familiar with the hassle of trying to pull on waterproof overtrousers quickly when conditions worsen – only to remove them once the rain passes! Sitting on damp grass or balancing on one leg and wrestling with trousers in the wind over muddy boots is no fun. And you wouldn’t want to keep them on, as conventional waterproof trousers trap heat and sweat when you’re working hard and can be noisy, inflexible and uncomfortable.
The solution for a safe summit
Páramo believe they have the solution – waterproof trousers you put on in the morning and wear all day. Introducing Cascada IIs walking trousers, you can wear them comfortably across changeable conditions, feature the following plus points:
- Directional and breathable Nikwax Analogy Waterproof fabric gives weather protection and dry next-to-skin comfort.
- Extensive leg side vents allow rapid temperature regulation when you’re working hard.
- Great articulation and a contoured shape give excellent freedom of movement.
In short, no need for over trousers!
To win a pair of Men’s or Women’s Cascada II Trousers from our pals at Páramo, we want to see your snaps from your wettest day out on the fells. Send your soggy snaps to @lakesweather using the hashtag #summitsafely and retweet to be in with a chance of winning. The free prize draw closes Friday 13th January 2017.
Not heard what #summitsafely is all about yet? Well, during our Fell Top Assessors season (December - April) which runs for 20 weeks we are sharing top tips for reaching a summit safely and to help you on your way we are giving goodies away each week. So stay tuned to @lakesweather to find out more each week.
Choosing the right waterproof fabric
Waterproof fabrics aren’t all the same. Conventional breathable membrane waterproofs fail because they can’t remove all the sweat produced when we’re working hard, especially in cold, wet conditions. Therefore, condensation and icing are well known problems with membrane rainwear.
Nikwax Analogy® from Páramo overcomes this because it’s not only breathable, but directional. The fabric directs condensation and perspiration away from the body, where it can safely drain away.
So, Páramo believes their waterproofs work better for high activity, and in cold or humid conditions, removing all sweat and condensation. Membranes or laminate waterproofs are often noisy and inflexible, while Analogy is soft and rustle-free. Nice.
Check out Páramo's video to get the full low down on Nikwax Analogy® :
What's Cascada II Trousers all about?
These trousers combine the Nikwax Analogy Waterproof fabric system with a contoured fit for a weight-efficient, stylish trouser:
- The unique fabric removes perspiration and condensation more effectively than conventional membrane fabrics;
- The trim shape with carefully designed articulation gives unrestricted freedom of movement;
- An effective ventilation system with ¾ length side zips and poppered internal storm flap enables effective temperature control during high energy activities even in wet weather;
- A double layer of Pump Liner in seat, thigh and knee areas gives extra protection.
Full terms and conditions
- The promoter and prize is Lake District National Park Authority (LDNPA), whose offices are at Murley Moss, Oxenholme Road, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 7RL.
- There is one pair of Men’s or Women’s Cascada II Trousers from Páramo subject to availability.
- This competition is open to residents of the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland aged 18 years or over, except for the Lake District National Park/Brockhole, their families or anyone else associated with this competition.
- The winner must provide size requirements and postal address.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.Only one entry is permitted per person.Competition entrants must be aged 18 years or over.
- Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are provided @lakesweather
- Closing date for entry will be 13th January 2017. After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice if something should happen outside of the promoter's control.
- Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- No cash alternative to the prize will be offered. The prize is not transferable.
- The prize is subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- The winner will be chosen at random from all valid competition entries.The winner will be notified by twitter within 28 days of the closing date.
- If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- Should the winner be unable to take the prize, the prize will be passed to the second drawn entrant.
- Once a date has been chosen by the winner these are non-transferable and no alternative dates can be offered.
- The prize as described is available on the date of publication.
- By entering this competition, you will also be subscribing to the Lake District National Park database. You may unsubscribe from newsletters at any time by clicking the 'Unsubscribe' option within the newsletter, however unsubscribing before the competition closing date, will disqualify your entry.
- Contact details for the winner will be passed on to the prize provider so that they can notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected / redeemed.
- The promoter's decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.The prize winner agrees (as a condition of accepting the prize) to the use of his / her name, county of residence (if such prize winner is resident within the UK) or country of residence (if such prize winner is resident outside the UK) and one or more photograph of themselves in any publicity material and to co-operate with or participate in any other reasonable post-competition publicity.
- Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant's prior consent.
- The winners' names will be available on our website www.lakeweatherline.co.uk or 28 days after closing date by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address: Lake District National Park Authority, Murley Moss, Oxenholme Road, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 7RL.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- You are providing your information to LDNPA and not to any other party.Anyone who is a) an employee of either LDNPA or b) a family members of such an employee will not be permitted to enter the competition.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.