#Summitsafely week 9:
Keeping warm on the fells this winter
It's week 9 of the 20 week #summitsafely campaign. Our #summitsafely top tip this week is be prepared for all weather - it's important to keep warm when out on the fells. This weeks giveaway is courtesy of Hydro Flask, we've got 6 flasks up for grabs.
With the British weather so unpredictable, it’s easy to under pack for a stroll in the fells. Whether it’s an unexpected rain shower or balmy weather making you sweat you can quickly become cold, which could result in dire consequences. However, our pals at Hydro Flask are coming to your rescue this week with their top tips on how to keep warm in the fells this winter.
- Check, check and check again. Check the Lake District weatherline forecast before leaving; check the forecast before you pack and then a final check before you head off so you can be well prepared for what Mother Nature throws at you. It’ll stop you getting caught out!
- Waterproof your phone: Invest in a waterproof phone case, such as this one from Aquapac, or simply put your phone in a zip lock freezer bag to keep it safe from the elements. Handy should you need to raise the alarm or to let your loved ones know you’re running late.
- A little warmth goes a long way: Fill a Hydro Flask with a hot drink in order to keep you warm and also keep you hydrated. Did you know a Hydro Flask will keep your drink piping hot for at least six hours?
- Don’t be scared to strip: Adjust your layers appropriately if you get too hot or too cold. If it’s windy and wet, put on your waterproof hard shell to keep warm and dry or if the weather is calm you may be able to take off your jacket and just wear a fleece to prevent sweating.
- Pre-heating: Whilst you’re getting ready, pre-heat your socks, boots, hat and gloves on a heater. Your fingers and toes will get the coldest as they’re the furthest from your body so by pre-warming them, you’ll keep extra toasty during your walk in the Fells.
- Eat more: Your body needs more fuel in cold temperatures to keep you warm from the inside out. High fat snacks, such as nuts and chocolate, will keep you going for the long haul as fat is slow-burning.
- Take spares: a spare pair of gloves, a spare hat, a spare pair of socks, a spare t-shirt! Damp, cold clothes will make you feel even colder so if you’re really starting to feel the chill switch into one of your spares.
To win an awesome Hydro Flask, we want to know what you drink on the fells. Share you winter warmer drinks with us to win. All you have to do is retweet and share tip to @lakesweather using the hashtag #summitsafely to be in with a chance of winning. The free prize draw closes Friday 3rd February 2017.
Not heard what #summitsafely is all about yet? Well, during our Fell Top Assessors season (December - April) which runs for 20 weeks we are sharing top tips for reaching a summit safely and to help you on your way we are giving goodies away each week. So stay tuned to @lakesweather to find out more each week.
Full terms and conditions
- The promoter and prize is Lake District National Park Authority (LDNPA), whose offices are at Murley Moss, Oxenholme Road, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 7RL.
- There are 6 prizes, one per person, of a HydroFlask drink flask and all subject to availability.
- This competition is open to residents of the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland aged 18 years or over, except for the Lake District National Park/Brockhole, their families or anyone else associated with this competition.
- The winner must provide postal address
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.Only one entry is permitted per person.Competition entrants must be aged 18 years or over.
- Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are provided @lakesweather
- Closing date for entry will be 16.00 3rd February 2017. After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice if something should happen outside of the promoter's control.
- Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- No cash alternative to the prize will be offered. The prize is not transferable.
- The prize is subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- The winner will be chosen at random from all valid competition entries.The winner will be notified by twitter within 28 days of the closing date.
- If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- Should the winner be unable to take the prize, the prize will be passed to the second drawn entrant.
- Once a date has been chosen by the winner these are non-transferable and no alternative dates can be offered.
- The prize as described is available on the date of publication.
- By entering this competition, you will also be subscribing to the Lake District National Park database. You may unsubscribe from newsletters at any time by clicking the 'Unsubscribe' option within the newsletter, however unsubscribing before the competition closing date, will disqualify your entry.
- Contact details for the winner will be passed on to the prize provider so that they can notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected / redeemed.
- The promoter's decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.The prize winner agrees (as a condition of accepting the prize) to the use of his / her name, county of residence (if such prize winner is resident within the UK) or country of residence (if such prize winner is resident outside the UK) and one or more photograph of themselves in any publicity material and to co-operate with or participate in any other reasonable post-competition publicity.
- Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant's prior consent.
- The winners' names will be available on our website www.lakeweatherline.co.uk or 28 days after closing date by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address: Lake District National Park Authority, Murley Moss, Oxenholme Road, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 7RL.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- You are providing your information to LDNPA and not to any other party.Anyone who is a) an employee of either LDNPA or b) a family members of such an employee will not be permitted to enter the competition.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.